A former teenage author turned twenty and her stabs at writing life and living to write.

Thursday, February 18, 2010

To Write Or Not To... nevermind

I spent two hours late into the night typing away at my computer, starting the first chapter of my second book. Now, this wasn't the most convenient of times. It was one o'clock in the morning and I had just spent the last two and a half hours watching Sherlock Holmes in the Fairbanks Regal Cinemas. But it was those quiet, early morning hours that brought me something special. I learned how to write again.

I have spent the better part of the last few months sending out queries, reading rejection form letters, and stressing about the ones still out there. Last night I remembered why I started writing in the first place. It's amazing actually. I regained all that I lost sight of over these last several months. Not only is the beginning of my second book very exciting and almost shocking, but writing about these people again is just like reacquainting myself with long lost family or friends. I love them. I root for them. I cry for them. I laugh at them. And yeah, it may seem odd to have such a close relationship with fictitious characters, but creating them, their habits and their passions, their stories and their struggles, all after people I have seen and known, even things I have experienced myself, it ties them to me irrevocably.

Alaska is cold, though that’s no surprise. It really is so strange being up here again. Even just sitting around the house is odd and going to church was even more bizarre. It’s almost like I have two homes now and each one I feel at ease in for different reasons. Living up here last year was one of the most wonderful experiences of my life. I’ll tease about my life up here, sure, but only because there were a lot of adjustments I had to conform to. In all honesty, meeting these new people from other sides of the country was fantastic. I loved the new experiences and different ideas. The frozen, beautiful landscape was a great inspiration for my book setting. All in all, it was the place for me to be at that time. I loved living with a family, becoming a sister to my niece and nephews. I have never regretted my decision for one moment.

Okay, so that was a really long tangent there. This blog today really doesn’t have a point or maybe even a theme. It’s pretty much just a bunch of jumbled thoughts. Then again, if you have ever spent considerable time with me, you know how my head works.

So here’s to the new book. Here’s to BYU (who sent me my acceptance letter on Tuesday). Here’s to my future and dreams I hope to keep afloat while I continue through these next few years. I’m terrified and excited; chomping on the bit though a part of me is hesitant. My life is truly about to begin. This is it.

To Write Or Not To Write… maybe that really is the question.

No comments:

Post a Comment