A former teenage author turned twenty and her stabs at writing life and living to write.

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

The Yearless Week

Christmas is a beautiful season when I gather together with family and friends to look back over the past year, or to Christmases long ago. It's a time to reflect on the changes I've seen, the hopefully better person I've become, and the wonderful family and friends I have gathered around me. It's a dark and cold time of the year that we illuminate with twinkling lights and melodic carols to help ease the onset of winter.

News Years, on the other hand, is a time when I look forward to the new year that presents itself . I look ahead to what I will accomplish and the experiences I will partake in. It's a time for setting goals and making plans. It's a time for seeing the image of my future in the toll of a clock chiming midnight.

However, there is an odd week wedged in between the end of the year and the start of a new one. I ceremoniously (and because I need a nickname for everything) named this the "yearless week". It's like that awkward stage between your childhood and the teenage years; when your no longer a child, but not old enough to be a teenager. Man, were those good times (cue sarcasm here).

This yearless week seems to be chalk full of mindless zombies going to and from work, all craving naps and stumbling from their stuffed bellies of turkey and pie. The children have no school, and therefore mindlessly eat, play video games, watch movies, and eat some more. I have no actual stats for this, but I wouldn't be surprised if this were the singly more unproductive week... ever... in the history of the world. Not just in work, but in one's personal life as well. There's a lot of staying in our pajamas. There's copious amounts of eating. And let's be honest. We don't have any real desire to be productive.

Maybe I'm basing this entire post on something that no one else experiences. Maybe I'm only broadcasting how freaking lazy I am, but let me show you how my morning went today.

My Plan:
-I had planned to get some shopping done to buy a birthday present for someone
-I had planned to get showered early in the morning
-Before showering, I had planned to run a few miles; nothing too crazy but enough to get me going
-I had planned to at least put on makeup.

What Really Happened:
-I woke up around 8 o'clock to get a good start on the day
-I ended up just sitting in bed until nearly ten.
-I ran on the treadmill for all of ten minutes.
-I didn't take a shower until noon.
-I played my guitar for probably a good couple hours
-I reluctantly put on real clothes to come in to work at 2, makeupless and my hair a frizzy mess.

The yearless week can hit you at any moment; take care to make preparations for the storm. My secret? Don't be too ambitious. Be settled with having date night in front of the TV. Be alright with going to bed at 8:30. (That's my plan tonight). Make peace with the fact that you just might be a lazy bum until Sunday, when the year starts anew and somehow makes us all feel a little more able.

A little more able to leap tall buildings in a single bound.

Of course we won't be able to.

But that's completely beside the point. 

No comments:

Post a Comment